Electrical-Related Fire Safety at Home

July 7, 2017

Electrical-Related Fire Safety at Home


From time to time, we hear from the news that there is a fire. The most common cause of such incident is due to electrical means. Left cell phone charger plugged, damaged electrical wirings, electrical overload to name a few.

How can we avoid electrical-related fire? Here are some things that we can do to avoid this untoward incident:

Electrical Devices
Turn off any electrical appliances like heaters, conditioners, and ovens when not in use especially if you are leaving your home.
Ensure that devices that generate heat must have proper spaces all around for proper ventilation.
Check regularly the wires, plugs, switches. Replace if found damaged.

Cords and Electrical Outlets
Never place cords or extension cords under carpet.
Fully unwind cords to avoid.
Do not overload electrical outlets by plugging too many plugs.
If found any sign of damage, replace immediately.

Lights
Use the proper lighting fixtures for each area at home. Using the wrong type can cause a fire. LED lights produce less heat than CFLs. Speaking of LED light, do you know when and how it was invented? Check it HERE and see how electricity including the discovery of LED light was.


Keep attention on dim, flickering or surging lights. This should be checked and replace immediately.
If heating of switches is observed, turn them off.

Aside from the above-mentioned, prevention is the best way to avoid electrical-related fire. Never attempt do-it-yourself electrical work for it will not only cause a fire but electrocution too.

Do you have any electrical safety tips too?